This week Owen is participating in the World Scholar’s Cup (WSC) Global Round – Kuala Lumpur. WSC is an academic competition featuring debate, writing, knowledge bowl and other fun stuff. It is such a clever program with a curriculum that is much more interesting and engaging than students get in their regular school.
Owen’s team competed in the debates yesterday. The motions they were debating were as follows:
- It should be allowed to access the memories of the dead.
- Negotiations between the US and North Korea have been a success.
- Secrets can make relationships stronger.
The topics they study are fascinating. Some of them are as follows:
- Science – The Science of Memory
- History – The History of Diplomacy
- Social Studies – Black Markets
- Literature – Voices of the Inseparable
Under the Literature category, there is an extensive reading list that includes poems, novels, films and include guided questions and case studies. I would love to dive in on the works!
The founders include much theatre and comedy that really resonates with teenagers.